Monday, August 5, 2013

Home-a-fying my House part 1: The Entry Wall

 
Golly we've been busy this summer! I don't mean with family vacations and such, which we HAVE been busy with. I'm talking home improvement busies. It seems like we (by "we" I mean "Me" I'm pretty sure Rusty had no problems leaving our house as it was) have so many projects lined up! Many of you know we were lucky enough to be able to buy a brand new home. Which is awesome! It wasn't built in 1962 with cinder block walls and didn't have giant ant colonies living in the floor boards and didn't smell like anything except new when we moved in. It was (Is) SO nice! My only complaint is that it was built by a big giant housing company that just busts them out cookie cutter style and it was just kind of boring with its plain white walls all around and such. I've been planning and designing since we moved in a little over 2 years ago and finally my visions are coming to light! Since there are so many things we've been doing and I only have little spurts of time to blog I'm sure there will be lots of little posts to show how we have been making this house our HOME!

Part 1: The entry wall
I've posted a few pics on FB but here's how I did it!
 


Ok, sorry about the crazy family pic but this is really the only one I could find that shows the entry in all its boring glory.


I felt like I couldn't really do anything until I painted. And since it too 2 years to paint...well. anyway here is just after we painted. After months of paint swatches on my walls we decided on "Wood smoke" by Glidden. Since the lady at Home Depot said our kids will no longer die from paint fumes we painted at night while everyone slept.
 
Yay DI frames! I got pretty much everything I used at the DI (thrift store) for $.75-$1.00 each. I laid out kind of a plan so I had somewhere to start from. Then took them all out back and gave them a white spray painty facelift. I even painted the matts where needed.

Then  I traced all of the frames and cut them out of paper to make sure of the placement. (I had to tape papers together for larger frames) I left this up for about a week and tweaked it because I'm a crazy perfectionist.


Tada! Painted my $8 DI table, printed some pics with my photo printer and hung them up. Tip: I marked on the paper where the hangy thing on the back of the frame was so I could put the nail in without moving the paper. It makes for exact placement of the frames!
So there ya have it! I did all of this during nap and quiet time (since my 3 year old has made a movement to abolish naps) and all of my shopping for things with both kids in tow. So if you think "aaa I can't do anything because of kids. bwah!" You CAN! It just takes longer!

3 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Love the wall color too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! So cute! And so not boring :) I love the blessing picture, by the way.

    ReplyDelete