Monday, August 19, 2013

Home-a-fying my house Part 2: Living Room

From the time we moved in I have always hated my front room. It was boring, had crazy miss-matched furniture and I never wanted to be in it. So I wasn't. It was a big fat waste of space. No it was conner's toy dump actually. He named it "Conner's big house" and it was always like his personal play room.


 I have always wanted a fireplace. Not to keep me warm and cozy, although that's a nice perk, but because I think they are pretty! When we were looking for a house I tried to find one that had one in it but when we finally found this house I loved it so much the lack of fireplace was not important enough to be a deal breaker.  But after a year and a half of my ugly living room I decided it really needed something. A focal point. It had none.
The design school student in me had to get out of my brain what I wanted onto paper so I sketched out my plan and eventually (like almost a year after I sketched) after deciding whether I wanted to make one or see if I could buy one went online this past January and found this fireplace cabinet of my dreams on amazon.com (my very favorite place to shop. I might single handedly keep them in business)for I think a pretty reasonable price! (you know me, if it isn't the cheapest way to go I won't do it!) It came in busy tax season so I'm proud to say that I built it all by my lonesome! I'm so handy. It helped a lot, but I still wasn't IN LOVE with my room and needed to do a lot of work

So back in the beginning of June we painted the room our nice glidden wood smoke gray color. It was the first room we did as sort of a test room to see if we wanted the rest of the house that color (which we did :) ) Since we painted I felt like I could finally hang up curtains and finish the room. yay! I still have a little work to do like figure out what to put IN the fireplace (since I can't put fire. that would be a bad idea) paint the mirror...some color, and figure out more pictures etc. but it is a vast improvement!



3 comments: