Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Masters of the Daddy Stalls

As most of you who read this old bloggity blog know, my husband Rusty is a tax accountant. Aside from the crazy long hours during this time of year he LOVES it! why? you ask. I have no idea. But I'm glad he loves his job! That being said, as stated above the hours kind of sort of a little bit suck this time of year. He leaves around 7:30/8 every morning and gets home around midnight or 1 for about 2 1/2 months straight. Usually it has just been me and him who suffer through it and live for that lovely April 15 deadline when we can have a more meaningful conversation than a "mmmmfffhey" as I try to pry my eyes open for more than 3 seconds at 1am. In years past, the kids have had an "out of sight, out of mind" attitude towards dear old dad, but this year they (Conner) have started realizing that something's up. Conner has often told me this past season "I not got a daddy anymore" :( or ask me "where's my dad?" Oh man this sounds so sad when I type it all out! We are really really grateful for his job and this is not supposed to be a sad post. It is supposed to be a funny one! So I'll get to the funny part!

This year Rusty has tried to leave a little later in the mornings (like 9) a few times a week so he can see the kids a little bit. (and so C knows he still has a daddy :) ) The funny thing is these little people have come up with some pretty ingenious ways to get daddy to stay home just a little bit longer. So without further ado, I give you the stalls...

#1 Block the path They started out with the obvious ones like locking the garage door so he couldn't leave. or just simply standing in front of the door with arms spread. When that didn't work C tried opening the pantry doors to block the way. more obstacles to get past = more time!

"Dis is my stop sign. It means daddy can't go to work!"






#2 Hold me Daddy Sophie has even gotten in on the action. She sees him getting ready and she wants only him to hold her. (if I try to take her she throws a fit) he's gotten really good at getting dressed and ready with one arm. And then she points around the room and trying to give him a tour of the cool things in our house...like fans and stuff.
 

#3 If the shoe don't fit...We have found numerous times toys in his shoes...so he can't put them on? Pretty logical thinking for a 4 year old! I might be a little proud.
 
Pretty sure she didn't do it, but she sure took the fall by being caught with them.
#4 Classic Guilt
 "Daddy, don't you want to play a game with me??" what do you say "no I don't"?
#5 Plain old talking C also has come up with his "I have to tell you something" stall. Where just as you're about to leave he says "Wait! I'm saying something!" then he says he has 4 (or 6 or 10 or whatever) things to say and they're usually bogus thought up at that second things like "I think you're really nice. That's #1! #2 is...um...think, think, think...I really really yike you..." and so on.

#6 Don't ever let go "Daddy I got you! I holding on and now you can't weave!" I like how he's holding onto his toy garage thing as an anchor. haha.


#7 Kill him with Kindness And sometimes, when all else fails, simply hugging is a good last resort.
 
"I promise if you stay I won't wipe all this cream cheese on my lips all over your shirt..."
When it's over it really is like turning a switch. When April 15 passes all is 100% back to normal. Thankfully we have only 6 days and counting left until we can drop these little shenanigans!  (even though they are pretty funny)


2 comments:

  1. Love it!!! I'm glad it's almost over for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww that is so cute/funny/sad!!! And poor mommy too- cause I can't imagine doing allllll the routine on my own with two kids plus being pregnant. You deserve an award!

    ReplyDelete