Saturday, April 16, 2011

the "Little Bo-Peep" you never knew

So being the good mommy I am I was reading Conner his bedtime story last night and I decided to forgo his usual favorite stories and read from a nursery rhyme book I got from a second hand book store in Logan. Of course in my story deciding I forgot that classic nursery rhymes, aside from the fluffy lovely persona they have, are really...weird. I can't think of another word for them. I mean really, who thinks of telling kids about a little girl minding her own business eating her snack and then a big old spider comes and she runs away? what is the moral of the story? spiders are scary? what a lesson. And who sings to a new born baby about a cradle in a not so sturdy tree that ends up plummeting to the ground?

Well in Conner's book was the story of "little Bo-Peep" which I will be honest, had no idea it had more than one verse. And since I had no idea I will just assume that you didn't know either and it was just too bizzare NOT to share. so here is the story of Little Bo-Peep

Little Bo-Peep has lost her sheep
and can't tell where to find them;
Leave them alone, and they'll come home
bring their tails behind them.
This is the part we all know and love so not so strange there. but oh just wait...

Little Bo-Peep fell fast asleep
and dreamst she heard them bleating;
But when she awoke, she found it a joke
For they were all still fleating.
again, not so bad...yet. but what the heck is bleating? I'm just guessing that it is the noise they make, but I'm not a farmer

Then up she took her little crook,
determined for to find them;
She found them indeed, but it made her heart bleed,
For they' left their tails behind them.
where did their tails go? oh no! did someone cut them off? did they just fall off?

It happened one day, as Bo-Peep did stray
Into a meadow hard by,
There she espied their tails side by side,
All hung on a tree to dry.
How would it be "oh I was just walking in the woods and there were these sheep tails hanging from a tree. no biggie". oh and the illustration shows a tree with these tails hanging from the branches. beautiful picture for just before bed.

She heaved a sigh and wiped her eye
And over the hillocks went rambling;
And tried what she could, as a shepherdess should
To tack again each to its lambkin.
I guess this could teach our children to try to fix things if they are broken "Timmy, if you every find a sheep without a tail try to put it back on! that's the right thing to do"

The End

I don't know, maybe it's not AS bad as when I read it last night but you've gotta admit, it is a little weirdish.

ok, the more that I think about it, it IS as bad as last night.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! You're better than I am, I read my books to my baby and sometimes curious george. But yeah, nursery rhymes are strange. Old fairy tales are also strange. Some of them are more gruesome than some tv shows and movies these days! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've never heard the whole thing! Definitely weird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Just last night I was reminiscing about how the song, "On Top of Old Smokey" is weird. You should definitely go look up the rest of the verses. :)

    ReplyDelete